37777 Harlow Dr., Willoughby, OH 44094 (440) 951-8974 Fax: (440) 951-1412
Upgrading your old PC-DNC Editor to version 4.0
Registered users of PC-DNC Editor can upgrade
to PC-DNC Editor version 4.0 (on the same computer) free of charge.
Listed below is a set of instructions that will help you with the
The authorization passwords that we issue will be unique for each
PC that you install the PC-DNC Editor on. When upgrading from a very old version of PC-DNC Editor
(versions 1.x or 2.x), Suburban Machinery will issue
free upgrade passwords for each copy of PC-DNC Editor that you are
licensed to use. Additional seats of PC-DNC Editor can also
be purchased at a significant discount from our list price.
Although software updates are free, we do charge a $50 fee to TRANSFER the PC-DNC Editor license to a new PC. If you've been running a licensed copy PC-DNC Editor and wish to transfer that license to a new computer, just install the software on the new PC, then call or email us for a license transfer password. The Editor should run in "30-day demo" mode until the license transfer password is entered.
1) Use Windows Explorer to create a new, empty directory (folder) on your PCs hard drive. Any directory name will do, but we strongly suggest that you DO NOT place the directory underneith the "Program files" or "Program files (x86)" directories. Newer versions of Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 may use an anti-malware protocol to prevent any application software like PC-DNC Editor from writing to these directories. PC-DNC Editor may experience some trouble with licensing or with configuration files if it is installed under "Program files" or "Program files (x86)". We suggest that you create a directory under the ROOT of drive "C:", such as "C:\PC-DNC Editor"
2) Download the PC-DNC Editor 4.0 setup file and click the SAVE option. Save it in your new directory by clicking here: Free PC-DNC Editor demo
3) IMORTANT: Back up ALL the following files from your old PC-DNC Editor. These files are usually located in the "C:\Program files\PC-DNC Editor" directory, but may be located elswhere if you didn't install the Editor in the default installation directory. These files will always be in the same directory as your old EDITOR.EXE file. PC-DNC Editor versions 3.3 and later can backup and restore these files automatically using the "File/Backup configuration files" menu. If you have an older version, backup the files listed below manually:
Editor IO device list (contains the list of machines you've configured COM ports for)
Editor COM port settings (contains the "default" settings for the COM port)
Editor COM port settings for (any machine name) - You may have many files like this, one for each of your CNCs
Editor convert settings
Editor convert settings for (any convert profile name) - You may have several files like this if you've used the File/Convert function
Editor page layout settings
Backup the following files if you are
using the "MultiPort" PC-DNC Editor:
Editor BTR device list
Editor BTR port settings
Editor BTR port settings for (any machine name)
4) Open the Windows Control Panel and double-click the icon labeled "Add/Remove Programs"
5) Select the PC-DNC Editor and click "Add/Remove" to remove the old version of PC-DNC Editor
6) Run the "editor_4.0.0.exe " file by double-clicking on the file name. This will install the new software on your PC. After clicking "Next" twice, if the default install directory shown is under "Program files" or "Program files (x86)", click the "Change" button and browse to the new directory that you created in step (1) above.
7) Copy all the files that you backed up in step (3) above into the new PC-DNC Editor directory, or start the new Editor and use the "File/Restore configuration files" menu to import them
Note: When you run the new 4.0 Editor, you may get an alarm saying that your "Customer.key" file is for a previous version of PC-DNC Editor. If this happens, your new 4.0 Editor will run in 30-day demo mode until you can obtain an authorization password from Suburban Machinery Software Inc. To obtain your password, call us at (440) 951-8974 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include the following information:
1) Your company name and address
2) Your name
3) The 9-digit security number shown on the alarm message display. This is your computer's ID number.
We will reply to your e-mail (usually within 24 hours) with a 9-letter authorization password. To enter your password, use the following procedure:
1) Open any of the 4.0 Editor's
2) Press the Ctrl + Alt + "K" keys at the same time.
3) Enter your 9-character authorization password and click "Apply"
4) Close and re-open your PC-DNC Editor
Once your authorization password is entered, your new 4.0 Editor will run in unrestricted mode, just like your previous version. You will not need an authorization password if you upgrade the 4.0 Editor to a newer version in the future on this same PC. You will, however, need a new authorization password whenever you decide to transfer your PC-DNC Editor license to a new computer.
If you are installing PC-DNC Editor on a new computer and have obtained the license transfer password, use the following procedure:
1) Open any of the 4.0 Editor's
2) Press the Ctrl + Alt + "L" keys at the same time.
3) Enter your company's name and city/state (do not leave these fields blank)
4) Enter your 9-character authorization password and click "Apply"
5) Close and re-open your PC-DNC Editor